Thomas W. LawsonThe all-steel Thomas W. Lawson was built in 1902 at the Fore River Yard (shortly to become Bethlehem Steel's Quincy Yard) to carry 9000 tons of coal.
She was the only 7-masted, and the largest sailing, vessel ever built. She carried 25 sails (18 tons and 43,000 sq. ft.). Her length, beam, and draft were, respectively, 370', 50', and 35'.The Lawson was lost on the Scilly Isles in 1907 whilst carrying 2-million gallons (7500 tons) of crude oil. Only 2 of her 18 crew survived.